Sunday 16 May 2010

A visit to Nana

There have been a number of births and sadly, deaths, in the last few week. It happens like that sometimes. It left me in reflective mood and I decided a long overdue visit to see my Dad was in order - just to make sure he was OK and to take the children to see him when he's still around. Mainly though I went to make sure he wasn't dead.

There's something deeply wrong, yet deeply funny about a bunch of geriatrics all sat in their wheelchairs 'listening' to Tinie Tempah's Top 50 UK Urban Anthems on Viva. Nevertheless, that is the sight'n'sound that greeted us when we went to see Dad in the nursing home.

Despite the wholly inappropriate soundtrack Jasmine and Felix were wonderful with their Nana. Jasmine played shops with him, and sold him a crappy toy snake for £50. If all his mental faculties were with him I am sure he would approve of her ruthless commercial acumen. But then again, if all his mental faculties were with him I'm sure he would have negotiated her down to 50p and not made any allowance for the fact she's only 4, so it all balances out in the end.

No comments: