Sunday 10 August 2008

Angry with the BBC and still prone to Olympic bouts of sentimentality

It turns out that the opening ceremony of the Olympics was bloody amazing. I am furious to have missed it. So angry I actually spent a sleepless hour fulminating at the BBC's highlights coverage, which showed us only about 10 minutes of fantastic opening ceremony, 10 minutes of crap speeches and boring processions of athletes, 20 minutes of footage on the British Olympic hopefuls (as if...) and a whole load of Sue Barker and other uninspiring presenters filling the rest of the time.

What makes me angrier, is that I could have watched it live, but chose not to, and also elected not to Sky+ it either, assuming that the highlights coverage wouldn't cut out any of the best bits. I am a BBC stalwart - I would happily pay double for the licence fee so I never thought I would say this, but... The BBC are Bastards.

Anyway, my blubcount is rising. I cried at the Olympics twice on the first day, once on day 2 and twice already on day 3 (a Russian and a Georgian hug on the podium - oh the poignancy). I am so soft it's humiliating.

No comments: