Friday 19 September 2008

Who do you know in your neighbourhood?

Since becoming a stay-at-home momma involves your entire world shrinking to the immediate area around your house, it's fitting that in my last couple of weeks at home that I've got to know a lot more neighbours. The cause that's bringing us together is a planning application to convert the 3 bed semi behind our garden into 4 flats. Everyone is up in arms, in a very middle class way, of course, and I've surprised myself by zealously knocking on doors, writing letters and urging people to raise objections.

What I've learned is that our neighbours are mainly a jolly nice lot. Warm, considerate, welcoming, and it's lovely getting to know the names and faces of people who live around you.

The other thing I've learned is that neighbours love to talk, and talk and talk. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact I have 3 unadulterated hours of ME time whilst the kids are at nursery and I want to use them for ME goddammit.

No comments: