Tuesday 6 January 2009

Separation Anxiety

When Krusty and La Gitane came to visit bf and I foolishly bragged about how easy Felix was to put to bed. It was all smugness and "Oh we just put him in his pjs, pop him down and off he goes to sleep" la la la.

How stupid we were.

From the minute they left Felix has been paying us back by screaming blue murder when we put him to bed... for about an hour. Then waking up once or twice a night and screaming blue murder when we try to settle him... for a couple of hours or so. It's exhausting.

For a few days we had no clue what was going on, then bf sussed it was separation anxiety (some good words on it here). Not that knowing what it is helps stop the clinginess and crying. I started by letting Felix fall asleep next to me and then putting him in his cot, and by co-sleeping in the middle of the night. Easier than it sounds. I reckoned Felix would just lie down next to us and go 'oh, Mum and Dad are here, that's alright then I'll just go back to sleep.' No such luck - he wriggles and moans and gets up and tries to climb over us and all sorts.

After consultation with the trusty book I've learned that it's best to get Felix to sleep in his cot without reliance on cuddles and falling asleep in our arms, so now begin backbreaking hours of leaning over his cot, eyes diverted, rubbing his tummy and shushing whilst we pray he settles. Then tiptoeing out lest he wakes, but invariably I make too much noise and his eyes open wide again and he starts whining and back I have to go...

No comments: