Wednesday 21 January 2009

Top Trumps: Being a Girl vs. History in the making

Thank heaven for Sky+. Obama started his inaugural address about 2 minutes after I dashed out of the house to pick up the kids, so yet another Peppa Pig re-run took precedence over history in the making, but I was able to witness it with the bf later.

And was blown away. Normally I'm a bit of a cynical old bird. My admittedly liberal standpoint tends to hover somewhere around the belief that history is cyclical and nothing ever really changes on a grand scale; therefore we should always be prepared to be let down by global leaders and big businesses as they will always act out of self interest by necessity. This is balanced by a personal resolution to try and make a whole bunch of small differences every day - to our lives, and those of our family, neighbours, community and friends, because that's where our individual choice, responsibility and power really lies.

But maybe because of his eloquence. Or the freshness of someone new. Or maybe because we all need a bit of hope to get through bleak times. But I let myself get caught up in the whole refreshing spirit of it and welcome the new Obama era. Particularly his commitment to 'restoring science to its rightful place and wield technology's wonders,' his belief in restoring people's dignity, and the call to responsibility - 'the price and promise of citizenship.'

But then, today, my buddy Alex and I revealed our true colours on Facebook, demonstrating that in the top trump contest between "Being a Girl" and "History in the Making", "Being a Girl" totally wins:

My buddy Alexandra: (Greece) wrote at 3:13pm 20/01
Obama, come over Greece for a while. Beautiful beaches, feta, tzatziki, souvlaki, malaka, syrtaki.

Babymomma: wrote at 3:04pm 21/01
does it make us look too superficial to admit that Obama's more than a bit attractive? obviously there's the whole 'men in power' thing going on, but does it take away from the fact we are intelligent, thinking women who are still able to objectively participate in and comment on the processes of democracy whilst fancying the leading players at the same time?

My buddy Alexandra:(Greece) wrote at 3:13pm 21/01
Τotally agree. Dont think it is superficial, I think it is crucial. Also I would seriously argue that Obama not only is attractive, he is hot. H-O-T. But I guess he knows that. Unfortunately for us, Michelle also does...

Babymomma wrote at 3:19pm 21/01
you see, I have to be careful what I say here because my husband-to-be could easily read this. but i do agree with you on the H-O-T front.

(with apologies to the boyfried... I don't really think he's hot. He's definitely not as hot as you.)

No comments: