Friday 22 February 2008

5 days old

Felix has been with us in the flesh for 5 days now. The dust is beginning to settle, at last, and I can't believe I haven't got round to writing more about, well, everything.


But in actual fact all I can think about right now is Teletubbies, which I have just watched for the first time with Jasmine. She's not known for being much of a TV watcher, but she was totally rapt, and all I could think was how totally wrong that programme is, but how completely right at the same time, and how a grown up should never, NEVER EVER watch it after a night of little or no sleep. Jambeans was shrieking with delight at I don't know what, but I couldn't quite tell if it was for real, or if I had accidentally taken some hallucinogenic drugs with my Rice Krispies this morning.


The really good news on the baby front is that Felix is definitely over the nightmarish first nights of round-the-clock nursing to get the milk supply going, and managed to go 3 hours between feeds quite comfortably last night. Not that that means he slept independently mind you. Our real challenge with him is that he's an absolute stickler for cuddles to sleep when he wants them, otherwise it's wah wah wah every 10 minutes.


And then Jambeans woke up at 01.30 for the usual reason - i.e. we haven't a clue. Impending cold? hunger? nightmare? insecurity coming out? We have no idea. But there she was, both grumpy and full of beans at the same time, as only she knows how. Oh yes, and ready to play.


I didn't mind so much, as it meant bf got up too and I had quite a bit of company during the graveyard shift, but it does mean we're all completely zonked this morning to say the least. And it means I can't actually boast that for the first time since Felix was born I got 3 continuous hours of sleep last night, because I feel like total shit.


Still since I was up with no prospect of any more zzzzs in sight it did mean I took Jammie down to bigfuss this morning and spent a good hour and a half of quality zonked time with her this morning. So the constant guilt pangs I've been experiencing since Felix' birth at being a part-time mum for her were temporarily quashed, we had some fun, and I got to experience the wonderful world that is Teletubbies.


So here I am - full circle and back in Teletubby land, with no sign of checking out. Even if I wanted to. Doubtless more later, once I've got my brain back.

No comments: