Tuesday 24 June 2008

Tommy Lee Jones attitude

One of my favourite film moments is in the remake of The Fugitive. The rozzers (or cops, really) are sneaking round a house where some of the fugitive murderer bad guys are hiding out. One of the baddies grabs hold of the sidekick cop, holds a gun to his head and starts hollering to be let free or the cop gets it. Tommy Lee Jones, being the cool sharp-shooting police dude that he is takes out the baddie in a flash. The sidekick later protests that he could have been killed, and that TLJ could have negotiated. TLJ just whispers coolly in his colleague's ear "I don't negotiate."

It is this detached, unrelenting mindset that I try to emulate as I engage the anti-tantrum shield, stop any attempt to reason with the toddler, and decide that she either eats the food she asked me to cook her, with the fork she asked me for, from the bowl she decided she wanted and then goes to bed OR she can scream until snot comes out of her eyes and then go to bed hungry.

No comments: