Wednesday 24 January 2007

Routines are for robots

"Routines are for robots" - that's what the Baby Whisperer (aka my yoga instructor, Lynn, at the Active Birth Centre) said to us last week in yoga. I found myself nodding enthusiastically in agreement, but that's only because I was feeling smug at the fact that Jazzie was finally sleeping through and was on super good form.

This week I am wishing that Jazzie was (were?), in fact, a robot, so i could instruct her to go directly to sleep, to stay asleep, to not pass 'wake up and yelp' and to not collect a poo-check from a parent.

Over the last few nights she has been waking up and yelping lots. Last night she went down at 7pm yelped herself to sleep for 25 mins, woke up at 10.30pm for about 10 mins, again at 01.45 and yelped for 20 mins, then again at 04.00, only briefly, but enough to wake me up, then again at 04.45 when she yelped for 45 mins before I caved in a fed at her at 05.30 when she fell asleep at the breast (!!!!) which is so naughty. i was feeling too gormless and tired to notice so didn't prevent it.

I'm sure it is because Jazzie is still a snot factory. at nursery too she is sleeping quite a lot, sometimes with only 40 minute breaks between her naps, and she is not gobbling her food down with as much vigour as normal. she did her first 8-5.30pm today and coped fine though my heart breaks when i go pick her up and see that she is one of the last few left, and she is still the smallest baby there.

Jazzie's disrupted sleep pattern has been like this for a 3 or 4 nights now, and seeing in print i realise it's not so bad, but it's getting to me and i'm tired and finding it hard to relax. i really want dp to have the baby monitor on his side of the bed, but keep forgetting to ask, and also deep down wish he would offer because that's the new mum equivalent of being given flowers for no reason whatsoever.

No comments: