Tuesday 13 February 2007

About Jasmine's birth part 3: hospital

So it's installment three (see part two here and part one here) and I've only just made it to the hospital for my midwife's appointment. Hmm, I'm labouring the story a bit, if you'll pardon the pun. So I'll try and be brief.

Basically, after about 5 minutes of argy-bargying with the midwife about painkillers (none available in the ante-natal unit whatsoever, and it was in a bleeding hospital - you would have thought...) and how my back was killing me, and how I needed a physiotherapy referral, I heaved myself onto the table for an examination. Three short questions ensued:

MW: (placing hands lightly on tummy) Does that hurt?

Me: (crying) Yes

MW: And does it feel like period pain?

Me: Yes

MW: And does the pain come and go?

Me: Yes

MW: Girl, I think you're in labour.

So that was about that. So after some machines, tests, much denial, some anxiety, frantic phone calls and an emergency c-section later, Jasmine was born.



Here's a photo of her at about 2 days old, just after she came off C-pap. She just came out so beautiful.
At first I loved looking at her early photos but a few months after bringing her home I found it more difficult, and still come over all weepy when I look back at them.

No comments: