Tuesday 6 February 2007

First week back at work

So, Tuesday evening and my working week is already more than half over. Hahahahaha - feels good saying it like that.

Not that going back to work has been bad in any way. So far I've enjoyed myself tremendously - it feels good to get back into the adult world, catch up with a lot of friendly faces and look forward to some new projects.

My job role has changed, and I did have a few reservations about that because I loved my old job. But I'm resolved to be a radiator (as opposed to a drain) about it all, so even though I will miss managing the team (i.e. being bossy, having the status, knowing what's going on etc.) I know I certainly won't miss all the day-to-day tedium of it, or the feeling of having to firefight all the time, or having to compromise on quality or service by making tactical decisions because timing is everything in the world of retail.

Looking after long-term projects and being responsible for strategy is definitely a great place to be. It's going to free my mind up and let me get a lot more creative which is what I missed in the old role. Kirsty even told me that it hadn't been the same since I left, and that the projects weren't as interesting. It was a real compliment - I could have kissed her.

As for downers - there aren't many so far, just getting used to being super tired if Jazzie decides to start the day at 4.30am, like she did this morning!!! And also the responsibility of being a parent who works is a bit weird. Today the nursery called to say Jasmine was ill (she was, in fact, only a teensy teensy weensy bit unwell and they were making moutains out of molehills) and I was in Swindon. That felt a bit stressful and distracted me from work somewhat so I did go back half an hour early. Everyone at work was very understanding though, so I think it will be fine in the future.

Onwards and upwards

No comments: